Yes, we know that it’s the middle of winter in Northern Pennsylvania. Yes, we know that the cold and snow are here. Yes, we know that summer feels like its years away. But we also know that time passes very quickly and the weather is fickle; one day you’re shoveling the driveway, the next day you’re opening all of the windows to get a cool breeze. So though it might seem a bit early to think about swimming, it’s never too early to plan your new pool construction in Shickshinny. Continue reading “Be Ready When The Weather Gets Hot”
Pool and spa chemicals have come a long way from your grandfather’s day, but stories of their scary effects still haunt swimmers. The wisdom of the ages, passed along for generations, tells us the strong smell of chlorine means your pool is squeaky clean. (It’s just the opposite: The smell signals a high level of contaminants.)
It’s sometimes easier to blame the chemicals than to take responsibility for lax testing and maintenance. But we’re here to help. We’ll not only offer advice and a top line of Leisure Time chemicals at our Skovish Pools and Spas outlets in Luzerne and Shickshinny but also debunk what some take as common knowledge.
It just isn’t so! For example:
- Chlorine does not turn your hair green. Instead, the guilty party is copper, an additive that guards against algae growth. Combat the effect by wearing a pool cap or immediately shampooing your hair after leaving the pool or spa. It’s another reason to consider that outdoor shower.
- Chlorine doesn’t cause red eyes, either. In fact, this is caused by too little chlorine. It’s an easy problem to avoid through routine testing of your pool’s chemical levels. Avoid swimming underwater with your eyes open, too. This washes away natural tears. Pick up some goggles instead.
- Sparkling-clean water doesn’t necessarily mean a sanitized pool or spa. Looks are deceiving, especially if you don’t shower before getting in, you allow dogs to share your space or you trust swimming diapers to catch everything that comes out. Clear water is a good sign, but it doesn’t replace a test kit. Test strips can signal trouble, but a test kit delivers a true reading of your levels.
- No matter how clean it is, don’t drink the pool water. It’s not chlorine, a chemical found in our drinking water, but contaminants that you don’t want to put in your system. Although you can’t avoid the occasional swallow, it’s a good idea to swim with your mouth closed as a rule.
Need help with a particular problem? Stop by our Skovish Pools and Spas outlets, where we can help you find the right treatment for your pool or spa.
It might seem a bit early to think about summer, but it will creep up on us and be here before you know it. The weather will get hot and your family will be ready to swim. How will your pool hold up? Has it taken a beating over the years? Was it constructed back when “Dynasty” was a top-rated TV show? If your swimming pool has seen better days, it might be time to send it to rehab. Pool rehab, that is. Continue reading “Does Your Above Ground Pool Need Rehab?”
A new year brings new goals, changes, and plenty of resolutions. Did you know that one of the number one resolutions involves fitness? Whether its weight loss, getting healthier, or improving ones stamina, it’s the top goal of many people each year. Continue reading “Swim Your Way To Fitness”
What’s putting the “hot” in hot tubs this year? Here’s a clue: It’s not just the heater.
Once looked on as a luxury, backyard spas are making their way into the mainstream. Maybe more people realize the health benefits they offer. For the conventional pool owner, a backyard spa also extends the swimming season. Or maybe it’s because new technology allows folks to customize their spas with LEDs, music and hydrotherapy options.
Here are a few of the other trends rising to the surface:
- People are looking at bigger spas, especially swim-spas that offer room to move. A hybrid of sorts, the swim-spa allows you to swim laps against counter-currents and opens your hot tub to more friends. There’s also room for a swim-up bar like the ones you’d find at a resort.
- Spas are getting smart. Following in the steps of smartphones and smart homes, pools now allow you to automate maintenance routines. Chemical balance? Check. Need a shot of chlorine? Check. A little stabilizer? Check. All of these actions can be managed from your web-connected smartphone or another mobile device.
- They’re more energy-efficient, too. Tubs now come surrounded with better insulation, and covers really do keep the heat in. Additionally, many tubs now come with energy-consumption monitors and self-diagnostic controls. These devices are good for the environment and your wallet.
Stop by our Skovish Pools and Spas outlets in Luzerne and Shickshinny for a look at today’s backyard spas. You’ll be amazed!
If you have been dealing with beginning of the cold winter and it crossed your mind that hot tubs in the winter seem like a good idea, you were right. Having a spa in the winter is the most valuable time to own one. Hot tubs in Shickshinny get most of their use during the winter as we see temperatures drop. It’s a wonderful luxury that can afford your muscles a break from the tension of the cold and allow you to enjoy some fresh outdoor air while relaxing in the heat. Continue reading “Keep Your Hot Tub Running During The Winter”