Are thunderstorms rolling through your world?
Window-shaking crashes of thunder, waves of lightning, and rivers swollen to overflowing with the resulting rain – we’re seeing it all! Hopefully, you know to stay out of the water when lightning strikes!
But did you realize your Skovish pool needs special attention once things settle back down? Once power is restored and it’s safe to venture outdoors again, gather up your pool supplies and follow this post-storm checklist:
- If you have enough warning before the storm, make things a little easier on yourself later by moving patio furniture, grills, pool toys, and plants into your garage. It’s no fun fishing them out of the pool when a heavy wind sends them flying! Throw a little algaecide in the water, getting a head start on fighting contaminants. And turn off your pump and disconnect your electrical lines. If you have covers for your equipment, now’s the time to use them!
- Following the storm, clear debris from your skimmer and pump baskets – watch for any critters that may have taken refuge there – before turning on your pump and filter. That will remove the smaller debris from the water.
- Now head for the surface debris! Use a skimmer for the leaves and such floating on the water and using a hose, hit the deck, spraying away from the pool to keep the debris from going in the water.
- Pull out the vacuum and clean the bottom of your pool, again targeting the debris settling there. This is a good time to get rid of any excess water. Turn your filter to “waste,” hook up your backwash hose and turn on the pump, removing enough to put the water level about halfway up the skimmer window.
- Once all is back in order, check your chemical balances. Storms are known to throw them out of whack and it’s not a bad idea, after a major thunderstorm, to give your pool a shock treatment. Rain often lowers your pH and again, you’ll want to make sure to add the necessary sanitizers to fight any organic contaminants the storm brought in.
When you’re all done and everything’s back in order, go ahead and jump in! You deserve it.